Friday, December 10, 2010

Pearls With a Twist

For the past few weeks I have been hand knotting pearls on coloured silk. Some years ago I was taught proper knotting techniques by Myra Waller who owned Waller Antiques in Victoria. I had something in mind but couldn't quite visualize what I wanted to do. I have always loved a traditional strand of pearls and thought ....why not knot the pearls using a contrasting colour of silk?
So I have begun. Using a slightly heavier weight of silk, a subtle hint of colour shows between the pearls. White pearls on black, blue on green....only the beginning. Hand made clasp - a simple ribbon textured hook. One strand hooked into the next for a longer or double strand.
The new year will see time to design new clasps and a front closing pendant clasp.
I still love winding the Silk necklaces. Both pearls and silk fe
el so nice on the neck; especially in the winter. Warm.

grey pearls on grass green silk


natural multi-coloured pearls on steel silk with oxidized silver clasp


opera length Silk (shown doubled ) on dark silver silk


Off to the studio. More snow coming.

Enjoy your holidays.

Marianne




No comments:

Post a Comment